Monday, March 26, 2012

Sergio Marchionne: Resurrecting Chrysler

I know that the auto bailouts strikes a cord one way or another with most Americans.  It is especially sensitive here in the Motor City where I reside.  As I have stated here previously I was not a proponent of the government bailout and would have liked to have seen  more of a free market approach but no one can deny that the pain of that crisis was lessened somewhat due to the government involvement.  Long-term I still contend that there will be issues although I hope that I am wrong.

That said, here was a 60 Minutes piece from the past weekend featuring an interview with top Chrysler and Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne.  My personal take away from the interview was that Marchionn came across as a very personable person.  From the sounds of it he has made a tremendous amount of change at Chrysler.  From a personal perspective he seems to be a workaholic, a person who keeps his private life private, and a stern negotiator.  A negotiator that probably got a great deal from the government but at the same time has taken great risks in trying to resurrect the Chrysler group.

No comments:

Post a Comment