Saturday, January 21, 2012

Parenthood and the Best Values in Public Colleges

Last night I was catching up on one of the few TV shows that I watch on a regular basis which is  Parenthood  on NBC.  Great show for those of you with or without children but I guess I have more of a draw to the show now that I am a father.

Ironically one of the major themes of the show this week was that of college, and more specifically sending a child off to a college that parents could not afford.  The debate was that the kid worked extremely hard, did all of the right things, and had outstanding grades and was accepted into Cornell with a yearly price tag of somewhere close to $60k but did it make more sense for the kid to go to nearby by UC Berkley which is a great school with a much lower cost.  Of course the kid really wanted to go to Cornell and by the end of the show the parents gave in and committed to doing whatever it took to see that the kid would get here first choice in Cornell.

I can't really fathom how much college may cost by the time my 1 year old triplets get there.  I can only hope that maybe the college bubble busts and the costs come dramatically down.  Quite frankly I really don't see that happening but there is hope I guess.

My previous post from yesterday Is College Still Path to Success? looks at the return on investment aspect of the college experience.  In the example above going to UC Berkley would presumably have a much greater ROI than going to Cornell or at the least have a reduced risk component due to the large discrepancy in costs.

I wonder in 17 years if I will be able to tell any of my triplets no they can't go to the college of their choice due to a low ROI?

With that question I leave you with Kiplinger's Best Values in Public Colleges - 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment