Friday, November 2, 2012

How to Keep Electronics Going With No Power

This is a great post by NYT Tech Blogger David Pogue and his ability like so many others that are dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

  • For Internet, therefore, I’ve been using my phone’s tethering feature. My laptop can get online using my phone as a glorified Internet antenna, a service for which I pay Verizon $20 extra a month. And for which I’m very, very grateful right about now.
  • Longtime readers may recall that, two years ago, vicious windstorms knocked out our power for six days during a frigid March. When I blogged about it, many commenters expressed shock that I, Mr. Tech, did not own a generator.Well, trust me, after that experience, I went and bought one — the Homelite HG5000 (it was about $600 at Home Depot). It’s a big, heavy, deafening, stinky, apparently dangerous contraption. (“Using a generator indoors or in your garage WILL KILL YOU IN MINUTES,” says a metal plaque on the top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment