Sunday, February 26, 2012

Do the Job You're Meant to Do

For those of you out there struggling with your careers I found a few stories in the WSJ which may be of assistance to you.

  1. The first article Do the Job You're Meant to Do by Peter Bregman author of 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done.  The piece describes the story of a young woman and her struggles to adapt to a new promotion and how her new career position is not aligned to her career goals and aspirations.
  2. Quit: Dot it Now by Heidi Grant Halvorson a social psychologist and Associate Director of the Motivation Science Center at Columbia Business School, is the author of Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals  and Nine Things Successful People Do Differently.  Below she lays out some strategies to cutting your loses
    • Figure out which goal has to go
    • Be confident
    • Stop dwelling on the past
    • Replace the goal with one that does work for you
Another great source for career advice and planning is a book and website The Career Guarantee by  Christopher Kuselias .  I have personally read this myself and found it be of great use to me.



Having struggled with my own career for almost a decade I can actually associate with those that struggle to find what they want to do with either their life or career.  My biggest regret that I live with every day is not starting DWCM sooner!  

No comments:

Post a Comment